One of my favorite recipes that is so typically New Zealand, savory muffins, found in almost every coffee shop and supermarket. The fun things about this muffin is, it's so easy to bake, mess-free and you can experiment with so many different ingredients -- caramelized onions, italian herbs & sun-dried tomato, or spinach and feta cheese perhaps?
Savoury Cheese & Bacon Muffins
- 2 tbs chopped red & green bell peppers (optional)
- 3/4 cup strong vintage cheese, cut into tiny cubes
- 1 large egg – beaten
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour – sifted
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 50 gr melted butter (may be replaced by low fat cooking oil)
- 2 tbs bacon, make tiny shreds
- pinch of cayenne pepper powder
- I prefer to bake the bacons until they’re crispy, but this can be replaced by bacon bits or something else. Fold in chopped bell peppers, bacon and cheese cubes.
I prefer the cubed cheese rather than grated cheese – but it’s up to you really
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper into a bowl. Stir well to combine
- In a different bowl mix in egg, butter and milk. Stir into the flour mixture
- Prepare muffin tins with papercups. Fill about 2/3 with dough mixture. Bake at 200 degrees for 15 – 20 mnts
** makes 18 pcs
Original recipe by Edmond’s Cook Book – I made some variations to my personal taste.